Sigh. Eater has been a serious fan of Green Leaf Vietnamese, selecting it for our esteemed 38 and Vietnamese map, but two King County Health Department closures in less than two years is breaking some hearts. The International District Green Leaf (418 8th Ave. S.) was shut last Wednesday, July 1, at 11 a.m. for:
- Poor personal hygiene practices, hand washing and bare hand contact with ready-to-eat food
- Handwashing facilities not working and inaccessible
- Foods not protected from cross-contamination
- Improper cooling of potentially hazardous foods
- Potentially hazardous foods at unsafe temperatures
- Inadequate facilities to control temperature of potentially hazardous food, cold holding
In October 2013, health inspectors also closed the same ID branch for "failing to have required hand-washing facilities and for preparing food in an 'unapproved room without any sanitary facilities,'" the Seattle PI reported two years ago. Both times the restaurant has reopened swiftly; it was up and running again by last Thursday at noon. Green Leaf also has a branch in Belltown (2800 1st Ave), which hasn't received the same violations.