Two-time James Beard Award-winning Junebaby chef Edouardo Jordan will highlight heirloom and ancient grains at his new restaurant, Lucinda Grain Bar, opening next to Junebaby in Ravenna late next month. Given the star power behind this one, Lucinda Grain Bar rockets to the top of the list of exciting openings to hit Seattle as the year draws to a close.
At Lucinda, opening at 22124 NE 65th St., Jordan’s food and cocktail menus will use ingredients like wheat berries, buckwheat, and millet in dishes like rice bowls, pastas, pressed sandwiches, poached salmon, and roasted chicken. Some of the grains will likely come from Washington State, which has long been a grain-producing state and is seeing more farmers turn to ancient varieties, in large part thanks to the efforts of Washington State University’s Bread Lab.
The 20-seat restaurant will be more casual than the chef’s two celebrated Ravenna restaurants, Eater Award-winning Junebaby and Salare, operating as a cafe during the day and a bar at night, with classic cocktails and highballs. It should also help alleviate congestion at Junebaby, which continues to draw massive attention and lines.
Since Jordan opened Salare in 2015, he’s been on an incredible upward trajectory, quickly becoming one of the country’s most notable chefs. Recently, in addition to the two huge James Beard Awards, Jordan got a rave review from New York Times critic Pete Wells, who only reviews restaurants outside of New York City every few months, and landed in the business section of the Root 100, an annual list of the most influential African Americans, ages 25 to 45. Junebaby was also one of the few restaurants named to Time’s Greatest Places 2018 list.
- Star chef Edouardo Jordan Will Open Another Restaurant in Seattle [Seattle Times]
- Lucinda Grain Bar [Official Website]
- NYT Gives Three Stars to Junebaby in Rave Review [ESEA]
- Edouardo Jordan Wins Two James Beard Awards [ESEA]
- Seattle’s Eater Award Winners 2017 [ESEA]
- Niels Brisbane Hopes to Change How the Pacific Northwest Eats [E]
- Phinney Ridge Loses Its Mediterranean-American Restaurant After All [ESEA]
- All Coverage of Lucinda Grain Bar [ESEA]
- All Coverage of Salare [ESEA]
- All Coverage of Junebaby [ESEA]