Chirashi bowl purveyor Fremont Bowl landed itself in hot water with health inspectors earlier this month, as reports show it was briefly shut down due to a salmonella outbreak.
Official information from the King County public health department shows that officials learned of four people from becoming ill after eating at the casual Fremont restaurant across three days in late July. One was hospitalized but has since recovered. The department did not find any evidence that restaurant staff were affected by salmonella.
Fremont Bowl opened in November last year, rapidly drawing a following for bowl-based Japanese comfort foods from fishy chirashi bowls to donburi and teriyaki options.
After health officials learned of a possible outbreak in August, inspectors were dispatched on August 9, finding a range of health code infractions, including issues with cooking times and temperatures of cooked food, hand washing, and cold storage of food. It racked up 123 points of infractions. (0 is a perfect score; scores over 35 can prompt a second inspection, and over 90 can lead to a closure.)
The following day, Fremont was re-inspected, and the King County report suggests that issues had not been fixed, so the restaurant was forced closed until it could be declared safe again three days later.
It seems the restaurant has cleared up the situation: a return visit from inspectors on August 13 earned it an easy pass, with no issues identified. However, Fremont Bowl made no mention of the closure online — rather, its social media remained silent for the days it was closed.
Health officials recommend that anyone who fell ill between July 27 and August 13 after eating at Fremont Bowl should visit a doctor.
- Salmonella outbreak associated with Fremont Bowl in Seattle [King County]
- Public Health closes Fremont Bowl restaurant in Seattle [Food Safety News]