Cinco de Mayo, which honors a historic battle during the Franco-Mexican War, has become a busy holiday for Mexican restaurants. But even though this year will be a more subdued celebration due to Washington’s stay-at-home order, there will still be plenty of great food for takeout and delivery to mark the occasion.
Here’s a selection of restaurants offering a few specials family meals today, from terrific burritos to tamales to margarita kits, and more. (And be sure to check Eater’s guide to tacos for takeout and delivery as well.)
- Frelard Tamales: The respected tamale specialist has a selection of its excellent tamales for takeout or delivery from its Green Lake outpost, and expresses some important thoughts on appreciating the true spirit of Cinco de Mayo, respectful of culture and community.
- La Carta de Oaxaca: Ballard’s longtime Mexican favorite has some snack-filled “fiesta packs” to-go, which includes a bottle of Sauza Silver tequila, margarita mix, ceviche, chips, guacamole, and beans. Diners are encouraged to call for takeout or delivery order: (206) 782-8722.
- El Camino: This Fremont restaurant offers “picnic packs” for takeout, which includes a margarita kit, party poppers, burritos, tostones, chips, guacamole, salsa fresca, and ensalada verde, all in insulated carrying bag, with a blanket as well.
- Fonda La Catrina: Georgetown’s popular Mexican restaurant offers a dozen tamales (chicken or pork) with black beans, crema, queso fresco, and a choice of salsa verde or roja. There are also some margarita kits available.
- Little Neon Taco: Chef Monica Dimas’s celebrated Mexican restaurant on First Hill offers curbside pickup and no-contact delivery on selection of taco meals, from carnitas to mole to chorizo. Plus, with every margarita kit order, the restaurant will throw in a free bottle of Topo Chic mineral water.